Sunday, January 20, 2013

Biscuits, flaky, delicious, gluten free 5*


I think I have made the prefect gluten free biscuit.  My husband says that they are just as good as biscuits made with 'real' flour.  I think they are divine.  Whether dipped into a stew or soup, or spread with butter and honey.  Delicious.

 
1 1/8 cup King Arthur gluten free flour
1T baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/4 t xanthum gum
5T butter
3/4 cup milk
 
Preheat oven to 400
Makes 5, 3" biscuits or more if you like your biscuits smaller
 
Mix all dry ingredients in a medium bowl, I just use a whisk until well combined.
Cut the butter into small bits,  about the size of half a grape and add to flour mixture.
Using your hands, blend the flour and butter bits, smashing the bits between your fingers, into the flour. Stop when bits are just under pea size.
Using a fork, blend in the milk, stirring as little as possible, then turn dough out onto a board with a little flour sprinkled on it.  Barely working the dough at all, bring it together with your hands, and press until 1/2" to 3/4" thick.  Cut with a biscuit cutter to the size of your liking.  I like 3" biscuits.  Place them on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 18 - 20 minutes, until lightly browned.
 
While they are still warm, I carefully split them and place a tab of butter in each one.
They are delicious with stews or soups, or even used as a shortbread in strawberry shortcake.  My favorite is just a bit of butter and honey.  I give these biscuits 5* on a scale of 1 to 5.
 
Be well
Eat well
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment